2017 BC Wildfires

2017 BC Wildfires

United for BC Wildfire Recovery blog article.

Wildfire status and updates

BC Wildfire Service contact information

Current Wildfire Situation webpage has details on each fire, including location, map, size, evacuation order status, road checkpoints, etc. This website will have the most current information, as the fire situation changes over time. It also has a map of all active wildfires.

EmergencyInfoBC provides updates on evacuation orders

For each fire, there are links to evacuation alert/order details as specified by the Emergency Operations Centre of the relevant Regional District. Emergency Management BC is responsible for setting up Emergency Social Services (ESS) reception centres where needed.

Evacuation alerts and orders

Click here for Bulkley-Nechako Regional District

Regional District of Bulkley-Nechako has an activated Emergency Operations Centre (EOC) and has up-to-date information about evacuation alerts/orders and maps, pet and livestock information, donations, volunteers, etc. If evacuees need transportation assistance from the area please call the Regional District.

  • Phone: 250-692-3195 or 1-800-320-3339
  • Office hours are 8:30 am to 4:30 pm Monday to Friday. After-hours, call Emergency Management BC at 1-800-663-3456.

Click here for Cariboo Regional District

Cariboo Regional District website has an activated Emergency Operations Centre and has up-to-date information, alerts, and orders.

The Cariboo Chilcotin Emergency Notification System provides current information for people affected by evacuation alerts or orders. Register online to receive notifications. The system is also able to reach people who have not registered but do have a White Pages or Yellow pages phone listing (usually a landline).

Click here for Central Coast Regional District

Central Coast Regional District has an activated Emergency Operations Centre (EOC) and has up-to-date information about evacuation alerts/orders and maps. They are operating a Reception Centre serving evacuees.

Click here for Central Kootenay Regional District

Regional District of Central Kootenay has an activated Emergency Operations Centre and has information about evacuation alerts/orders, maps, and volunteering.

Phone: 250-352-7701 or toll free at 1-866-522-7701

Facebook: www.facebook.com/rdcentralkootenay

Sign up for emergency alerts:


Receive text updates specific to the Harrop Creek Wildfire: text HARROP to 778-400-1771

Click here for Central Okanagan Regional District

Regional District of the Central Okanagan has an activated Emergency Operations Centre and has up-to-date information, alerts, and orders. No active evacuation orders or alerts in the Central Okanagan Regional District.

Click here for Columbia Shuswap Regional District

Columbia Shuswap Regional District website has information on evacuation alerts, orders, maps, and volunteering. They are operating a Reception Centre serving evacuees.

Revelstoke Emergency Operations Centre

  • Phone: 250-837-2884

The Columbia Shuswap Regional District provides a list of businesses offering discounts to evacuees in Salmon Arm.

Click here for East Kootenay Regional District

Regional District of East Kootenay has an activated Emergency Operations Centre (EOC) and has up-to-date information about evacuation alerts/orders and maps.

Click here for Fraser-Fort George Regional District

Regional District of Fraser-Fort George has an activated Emergency Operations Centre (EOC) and has up-to-date information about evacuation alerts/orders and maps, pet and livestock information, donations, volunteers, etc. There are currently no evacuation alerts or orders in place. They are operating a Reception Centre serving evacuees from the Cariboo.

City of Prince George information for evacuees: www.princegeorge.ca/CaribooEvacuation

Click here for Okanagan-Similkameen Regional District

The Regional District of Okanagan-Similkameen (RDOS) website has up-to-date information about evacuation alerts/orders, maps, donations, and volunteers.

Searchable map of evacuation alerts and orders: www.rdos.maps.arcgis.com/apps/Viewer/index.html?appid=c776a549a0d04f0d8c334755334f414c

Click here for Squamish-Lillooet Regional District

Squamish-Lillooet Regional District has an activated Emergency Operations Centre and has information about evacuation alerts/orders and maps, and pet and livestock information.

SLRD Alert is an emergency notification system that will send critical information by text, email, or voicemail message in an emergency situation. Register online.

Click here for Thompson-Nicola Regional District

Thompson Nicola Regional District  has an activated Emergency Operations Centre and has information about evacuation alerts/orders, and maps, pet and livestock information, donations, volunteers, etc.

Links to download regional information sheets, in PDF format, are located at the bottom of this page.

ESS reception centres/resiliency centres

Reception Centres provide immediate assistance with accommodations, food, medical or prescription support. Call Emergency Social Services at 1-800-585-9559 to confirm availability or find out about other locations where Emergency Social Services may be available. Read the evacuation order for your area to find out the location of the nearest reception centre.

Resiliency Centres and Information Centres provide information, government and non-government resources, insurance advice, counselling, and other supports for wildfire evacuees.

Click to view the list of Reception Centres

  • 70 Mile House Resiliency Centre located at the 70 Mile Access Centre, 2545 North Bonaparte Road. Hours of operation will be 8 am to 4 pm Monday September 18; 12 noon to 4 pm Friday September 22; and 8 am to 4 pm Saturday the 23rd and Sunday the 24th.
  • 100 Mile House Reception Centre located at the former RCMP detachment, 726 Alpine Road
  • Ashcroft Reception Centre located at the Ashcroft River Inn (serving First Nations only), 50 1st Street
  • Cranbrook Reception Centre located at the Cranbrook Curling Rink, 1777 2nd Street North
  • Kamloops Reception Centre located at the Sandman Centre, 300 Lorne Street
  • Kelowna Reception Centre located at Kelowna Fire Hall, 2255 Enterprise Way
  • Merritt Reception Centre located at Merritt Civic Centre, 1950 Mamette Avenue
  • Prince George Reception Centre located at Service Centre at City Hall, 1100 Patricia Boulevard
    Quesnel Reception Centre located at the Arts and Recreation Centre, 500 North Star Road
  • Salmon Arm Reception Centre located at the Columbia Shuswap Regional District Office, 555 Harbour Front Drive Northeast
  • Vernon Reception Centre located at the Dogwood Gym of the Vernon Recreation Centre, 3310 37th Avenue (enter from 35th Avenue or 39th Avenue)
  • Williams Lake Resiliency Centre located at the Cariboo Regional District office, Suite D 180 North 3rd Avenue

Evacuee registration/finding people

All evacuees should register with the Red Cross, even if aid is not required by evacuees. This allows family and friends to know the whereabouts and safety of loved ones, and allows the Red Cross to contact people directly as more info and assistance becomes available.

Evacuees should also register in person at an ESS Reception Centre (see list above) if they are in need of immediate assistance with accommodations, food, and medical or prescription support. If evacuees are not in immediate need, they can register remotely with Emergency Social Services (ESS) by phone at 1-800-585-9559, or call a local ESS Reception Centre when a phone number is provided.

Resources for Wildfire Returnees

The Red Cross and other service agencies are present in communities where evacuees are returning home, to provide information, financial assistance, and supplies. See locations and hours of Re-entry Centres at www.redcross.ca/how-we-help/current-emergency-responses/british-columbia-fires/re-entry-centres-hours-of-operation.

After a Fire – Returning Home from Interior Health

Advice on air quality issues for evacuees returning home from BC’s deputy provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry

Guide to Wildfire Recovery from Canadian Red Cross

Returning Home After a Wildfire from PreparedBC

Guide to Re-entry After an Evacuation from Cariboo Regional District

Re-entry Information for Residents of Cache Creek from Thompson-Nicola Regional District

Re-entry Package: Information Upon Returning Home Following Evacuation from Thompson-Nicola Regional District

Samaritan’s Purse provides clean-up of fire-damaged homes, ash sifting, possession recovery, fridge and freezer removal, and tree/debris clearing at no cost. Any homeowner needing help can call 1-866-628-6565.

Mennonite Disaster Services help with recovery in disaster areas. Services include assisting with cleanup and rebuilding, and helping people meet basic needs in situations where they do not have insurance or other resources to meet those needs. Homeowners can call 1-866-261-1274 or 1-204-261-1274.

Insurance Bureau of Canada (IBC) insurance information and advice for people affected by wildfires

BC Hydro Wildfire Evacuee Assistance Program

Canada Post information about mail delivery impacted by wildfires

BC Economic Development Association (BCEDA) is providing information and assistance for business owners returning to evacuated areas. A Business Recovery Hotline is available at 1-877-4BC-EDRP (1-877-422-3377)

Closures/delays in service

Road closures and conditions

Interior Health hospital closures/service changes due to wildfires:

Park closures: www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks

Recreation site and trail closures: www.sitesandtrailsbc.ca

Other sources of information/support

Click to view resources for evacuees in Kamloops

Thompson-Nicola Regional District Donations and Lodging Facebook page lists items offered or requested, and lodging offered or requested. TNRD is not vetting posts and cannot provide logistics support for exchanges.

Thompson-Nicola Regional District Volunteer Connections Facebook page lists volunteers wanted and offered.

Kamloops Area Wildfire Resources Facebook group links to news and updates for evacuees and residents offering help.

Kamloops Food Bank (171 Wilson Street) is open and available for evacuee families. Please bring your evacuation papers between 7am and 4pm.

All Thompson-Nicola Regional District Library System branches welcome anyone to access free children’s programs, wireless internet, computers, electronics charging, and library materials.

Cache Creek/Ashcroft/100 Mile House Evac and Support Facebook group provides updates for evacuees and links to sources of support.

Interior Health has set up a health services clinic at the Kamloops ESS Reception Centre (Sandman Centre, 300 Lorne Street)

Click to view resources for evacuees in Prince George

The City of Prince George lists services and business offering support to evacuees, including discounted and free accommodation for people and animals, discounts on products, free entrance to recreational facilities, etc. www.princegeorge.ca/CaribooEvacuation

Evacuees in Prince George who need bus transportation to get home, after an evacuation order has been lifted, need to pre-register at the Reception Centre located at Service Centre at City Hall, 1100 Patricia Boulevard. Evacuees can also call Emergency Social Services (ESS) at 1-800-585-9559.

Volunteer PG Centre has opened to recruit, train, schedule, and deploy volunteers to help receive and support evacuees from the Cariboo wildfires. Fill out this online form to volunteer.

PG Transit buses are free to evacuees, and a free shuttle bus is operating between CNC and the Northern Sport Centre, connecting evacuees at both locations.

Central Interior Wildfire Evacuees in Prince George: Info, Help and Resources Facebook page compiles information and offers of help.

Northern BC 24-hour Crisis Line provides emotional support, suicide intervention, and referral to other services.

  • 1-888-562-1214

Meals, advocacy, and support may be available at community organizations in Prince George:

Active Support Against Poverty (ASAP)

Positive Living North (PLN)

Canadian Mental Health Association (CMHA)

St Vincent de Paul Society

General Information on BC Wildfires

Mobile BC Firemap provides information on wildfire status, weather, smoke, traffic, and evacuee support locations, from open government data and social media feeds.

Information about resources for BC residents who have evacuated to Alberta is available from 211 Alberta.

BC Wildfire Evacuee Support Group Facebook page is compiling information and offers of help.

Access Pro Bono is providing free legal advice over the phone to anyone displaced by wildfires. Offers free legal help in all areas, including insurance, employment, debt, and tenancy. 1-877-762-6664

Accommodation and Amenities for Evacuees

YMCAs across BC (Kamloops, Prince George, Kelowna, Vancouver Island, Vancouver, Surrey) are open to evacuees for showers, rest, and taking part in drop-in programs. ID with photo and home address required to participate.

A number of online and social media resources are available to help evacuees find accommodations or help match hosts with people in need, including Alternative Evacuee Accommodation for Prince George2017 BC Wildfire Emergency Peer Accommodation MatchingAirBnB Urgent AccommodationsBC Fire Evacuees Temp Housing AccommodationsBC Relocation Support for Forest Fire Evacuees.

Bella Coola Community Support Society provides a range of emotional and mental health and wellness supports, and is currently able to offer emergency clothing to those in need, and those who are unable to return to their home. Call 250-799-5588.

The District of Sooke is offering temporary accommodations for evacuees. Call the Juan de Fuca Emergency Services team at 250-642-8106 or e-mail jdf4evacuees@gmail.com.

BC Parks will honour ESS referral forms (vouchers) that are provided by ESS Reception Centres to evacuees for accommodation.

BC Ferries is providing free prearranged travel for people evacuating from officially evacuated areas. To book ferry travel, call 1-888-BCFERRY (1-888-223-3779). Evacuees who have already paid for and travelled with BC Ferries can be reimbursed; email receipts and proof of residency in officially evacuated areas to customer.relations@bcferries.com.

Animals, Livestock, and Pets

BC SPCA is partnering on rescue efforts for animals in evacuated areas. To provide information about animals that were left behind in evacuated areas, call 1-855-622-7722 between 9 am and 5 pm daily.

BC’s Emergency Livestock /Animal Evacuation Group was created for evacuees who need help and for those who are able to offer help.

BC Wildfire Animal Resource Map is a searchable map of available spaces for animals and livestock.

Canadian Disaster Animal Response Team (CDART) assists with the rescue and shelter of animals, including pets, horses and livestock. Homeowners and ranchers affected by the Finlay Creek wildfire can contact CDART locally at 250-215-3259 for assistance.

Horse Council BC is facilitating a central registry to monitor horses displaced by the wildfires.

BC Cattlemen’s Association is helping to coordinate hauling of livestock in evacuated areas. For assistance email wildfires@cattlemen.bc.ca.

Financial Support, Relief, and Insurance

BC Disaster Financial Assistance (DFA) Program, Emergency Management BC, provides financial assistance to help replace or restore essential items and property after a disaster. Only takes effect once a disaster has been declared eligible by the province. This has not yet happened for these fires, but check website for updates.

The BC Government and Canadian Red Cross are providing $1,500 emergency grants to small businesses (including sole proprietors, partnerships, franchises) that have been impacted by the fires, as well as non-profit organizations and First Nations businesses and members whose livelihood is based on cultural practices. Apply online or call the Red Cross Support to Small Business Help Line at 1-855-999-3345 from 6 a.m. to 5 p.m. PT, Monday to Friday.

AgriRecovery Program will provide funding to farmers and ranchers whose operations were affected by wildfires. Funding may go towards repair, rebuilding, livestock feeding, and other expenses. Producers can call 1-888-332-3352 for more information.

Royal Bank of Canada (RBC) clients affected by wildfires can receive short term payment deferrals on mortgages, personal loans, home insurance, auto insurance and credit cards. Clients wishing to discuss their specific financial needs and get advice may call 1-800-769-2511.

Shaw is offering credit for charges during an evacuation period. Contact Shaw at 1-888-998-7429.

Fortis BC is offering billing relief for natural gas and electricity customers who experienced evacuation orders this summer. Contact 1-888-224-2710 (natural gas) or 1-866-436-7847 (electricity).

The Government of Canada and BC Government provide a variety of supports to ranchers impacted by the wildfires

ICBC has established a special claims service team to expedite fire-related claims. Please call ahead before visiting an ICBC service location.

Small Business BC maintains a list of resources and FAQs for small business owners affected by the wildfires.

Health Support and Information

First Nations Health Authority (FNHA) is providing nursing care and follow-up support to evacuees in Prince George, Kamloops, and the lower mainland.

Pharmacists are able to provide a drug without a prescription during a state of emergency. The College of Pharmacists of BC Find a Pharmacy tool helps patients locate a pharmacy in the community they are staying.

The BC Government’s BC Air Quality website provides information on air quality, including air quality advisories, and the Air Quality Health Index across the province.

Interior Health provides tips for reducing exposure to smoke.


PreparedBC has tips on preparing for disaster and recovery information

Government of BC provides advice on preparing your household for an evacuation order.

FireSmart Canada provides information on preparing for wildfires

Regional Information Sheets

Click here to view Information Sheets

If you are looking for a specific resource, check our online database or chat with one of our Information and Referral Specialists.


  1. Red Cross
  2. United Way
  3. Salvation Army
  4. To assist evacuees with pets/livestock, donate to the BC SPCA or the Canadian Disaster Animal Response Team
  5. Do not bring donations to ESS reception centres without calling first to check whether in-kind donations are welcome. Centres are working with the Red Cross to coordinate supplies.
  6. Officials are asking that people avoid crowdfunding sites

Last Update: September 19, 2017 @ 1:30 PM PST