2018 BC Wildfires

2018 BC Wildfires

Wildfire status and updates

BC Wildfire Service contact information

Current Wildfire Situation webpage has details on each fire, including location, map, size, evacuation order status, road checkpoints, air quality, etc. This website will have the most current information, as the fire situation changes over time. It also has a map of all active wildfires.

EmergencyInfoBC provides updates on evacuation orders

For each fire, there are links to evacuation alert/order details as specified by the Emergency Operations Centre of the relevant Regional District. Emergency Management BC is responsible for setting up Emergency Social Services (ESS) reception centres where needed. Emergency Social Services (ESS) can provide assistance with food, lodging, clothing, emotional support, and family reunification.

Evacuation alerts and orders


Regional District of Bulkley-Nechako has up-to-date information about evacuation alerts, evacuation orders, and Emergency Social Services (ESS). They can also provide assistance with livestock.


Cariboo Regional District has up-to-date information about evacuation alerts and orders.

Central Kootenay

Regional District of Central Kootenay has up-to-date information about evacuation alerts and orders.

East Kootenay

Regional District of East Kootenay has up-to-date information about evacuation alerts and orders.


Regional District of Kitimat-Stikine has up-to-date information about evacuation alerts and orders.

  • Phone: 250-615-6100 or 1-800-663-3208

Tahltan Central Government accepts donations and has information on Telegraph Creek evacuation and ongoing fires in Tahltan reserve land.

Kootenay Boundary

Regional District of Kootenay Boundary has up-to date information about evacuation alerts and orders.

  • Phone: 250.368.9148 or 1.800.355.7352.


Regional District of Nanaimo has up-to-date information about evacuation alerts and orders.


Regional District of Okanagan-Similkameen has up-to-date information about alerts and orders, and will assist with livestock relocation.

Lower Similkameen Indian Band has up-to-date information about evacuation alerts and orders for reserve land in the Lower Similkameen including Chopaka.

Thompson Nicola

Thompson Nicola Regional District has up-to-date information about evacuation alerts and orders.

ESS reception centres

Reception Centres provide immediate assistance with accommodations, food, medical or prescription support during an evacuation order. Please check with your Regional District to see whether an evacuation order has been issued and which reception centre to attend.


Clinton Reception Centre located at Municipal Hall, 306 Le Bourdais Avenue.


100 Mile House Reception Centre located at Peter Skeene Ogden Secondary, 200 7th Street

Prince George Reception Centre located at CN Centre, 2185 Ospika Boulevard

Williams Lake Reception Centre located at Lake City Secondary, 640 Carson Drive.


Burns Lake Reception Centre located at the College of New Caledonia, 545 Highway 16.

Dease Lake Reception Centre located at the People’s Haven, First Avenue and Stikine Street, 250-771-5577

Smithers Reception Centre located at Smithers Christian Reform Church, 4035 Walnut Drive, 250-847-2333

Terrace Reception Centres located at Regional District of Kitimat-Stikine offices, first floor boardroom, 4545 Lazelle Avenue, 250-615-6100 and at Kitsumkalum Hall, 3514 West Kalum Road.


Kimberley Reception Centre located at Kimberley Centennial Centre, 100 4th Avenue.


Whitehorse Reception Centre located at 910 Quartz Road.

Other sources of information/support

Animal Lifeline Emergency Response Team (ALERT) Canada works with local authorities during an emergency to assist with the preparation for, and the actual rescue and shelter of domestic animals and livestock.

The City of Prince George has information for wildfire evacuees.

Help Nanaimo Fires 2018 Facebook Page provides support and offers of assistance including information on accommodations, pet/livestock shelter, and more.

Information about air quality from Environment Canada.

Information from FortisBC about dealing electricity and natural gas during wildfires and evacuations.

Kitsumkalum First Nation provides daily meals and a gathering place for Telegraph Creek wildfire evacuees at Kitsumkalum Hall, 3514 West Kalum Road, Terrace. Meals are served at 12 pm and 6 pm daily. Call 250-631-2500, 250-922-5043, or 604-339-4393

Telegraph Creek Donation Drive Facebook page provides information about donating and donation drop-off locations.

VCA Canada Animal Hospitals on Vancouver Island offer free boarding, wellness exams, and pet food for pets displaced by fires in the Nanaimo Lakes area.

Resources for Wildfire Returnees

Guide to Wildfire Recovery from Canadian Red Cross

Returning Home After a Wildfire from PreparedBC

Closures/delays in service

Road closures and conditions

Park closures: www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks

Recreation site and trail closures: www.sitesandtrailsbc.ca


FireSmart Canada provides information on preparing for wildfires

PreparedBC has tips on preparing for disaster and recovery information

Last Update: August 17, 2018 @ 10:00 AM PST