Careers at bc211
Information and Referral Specialist, Permanent Full & Part Time
A successful candidate would use their excellent interpersonal and communications skills to provide support, crisis management, assistance and information/referral to clients, who may be in crisis situations involving sexual assault, violence in intimate relationships, addiction to substances or gambling, elder abuse or adult survivors of childhood abuse.
- Responds to enquiries via telephone, email, mail, TTY, text, or personal interview
- Assesses client needs, provides support and crisis management as needed
- Accesses resources available from the database, internet or other sources
- Provides information about the systems of services, outline possible options and make appropriate referrals to community resources
- Initiates and performs follow-ups, advocacy, assisted referrals
- Notes unmet needs and gaps in services
- Maintains accurate record of all contacts
- May represent BC211 on committees, at meetings and conferences and at community events.
- Minimum Community College Diploma in Community Social Service Work or University Degree in Social Sciences or equivalent experience
- Fluency in a language additional to English is preferred
- Relevant experience working in the social services field and familiarity with BC social, community and criminal justice services
- Ability to communicate effectively in English both verbally and in writing
- Ability to deal with clients in an empathic, courteous and tactful manner.
- Must be able to work morning, evening and overnight shifts on weekdays and weekends as per operational requirements.
Start date: May 2013
Salary: Social Service Sector collective agreement wage grid 11, plus benefits
Shift schedule: The help lines operate 24 hours / 7 days a week. This position requires a rotation of evening, morning, weekend shifts with a minimum of 5 overnight shifts within a seven week period.
Hours per week: Approximately 35 hours plus occasional overtime
Automobile Use: There is no requirement for use of an automobile.
Please submit resume and cover letter to IRresume@bc211.ca
The posting will remain open until the position is filled.